Growing up I have always known most of the extended members of my parents family. The photos below are from a family reunion of my grandmother Daniel's family. She was born Aberdeen Smelser. She had 4 sisters: Racine Meek, Christine Allen, Mersie Parrish, and Lova Warhurst, and two brothers: Alfred-Hardin Smelser and Chester Smelser. At some time I have met them all. I knew Aunt Christine and Aunt Mersie better than the others because they lived closer to us. We spent every Thanksgiving at Aunt Christine's house until her husband Uncle Chuck died.
As a little girl I stayed with my Granny and Papaw from birth until I started school. I was the only granddaughter until 1989 when my cousin Julia was born. So for 10 years I ruled the roost. I adored the times I can remember staying at their house. I thought they hung the moon. My Granny was the first of all of the siblings to pass away. It was one of the hardest times in my life. Now there are only two siblings left. She would be so proud of everyone if she was here. Somedays I wish she was....so she could see my Dalton. She would chuckle at him for sure. Somedays I can hear her chuckling....she did that alot when I stayed with her. I guess I made her laugh alot...kinda like Dalton makes my parents laugh so much.
She was a good teacher. I have heard many stories about all the things she taught my mother. The scent of fresh dirt brings tears to my mothers eyes because that reminds her of my Granny.
Every spring I go to her house and pick buttercups and take them to her grave...I know she isn't there but it helps me to think I am sharing her flowers with her. She loved flowers, and gardening.
After I saw the pictures I had her on my mind. So I thought I would share my thoughts. One thing that I will always remember about my Granny is that the most important thing to her was her family. She never cared about brand name clothes, or anything that had to do with fine living, as long as she could pay her bills, put food on her table, and help provide for her family she was content. She wasn't flashy and didn't really care if she had a dime to spend, she could get by without it....she knew how to manage with nothing.
I miss her dearly. The great Lewis Grizzard said this once about his momma and I kinda feel this way tonite about my Granny.
Don't forget to kiss your Granny.....I sure wish I could kiss mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment