About Me

My photo
Hey ya'll! I am a 34 year mother of two blue eyed awesome kids! I teach 4-6 Science and Social Studies at a small school in Mississippi. I love living life to the fullest and I try to laugh every day. Laughter is the best medicine!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

I love to experience new things with my little boy. This past weekend I got the bright idea that I wanted to build a campfire, without camping, and cook hotdogs and smores. So Josh decides that he wants to add a little more fun to the mix and decides that we will go fishing.
Now I have never been the best fisherman. The main reason is that I am too impatient on waiting to catch something. I thought that it would be a good experience for Dalton though. I was right.
We took him down to our friend Zack's dads farm. They have a pond that has catfish, brim, minnows, and of course..a few snakes. Luckily we didn't encounter any of those up close and personal.
Dalton caught his first fish. It was a brim. He was really proud. I would cast his line and he would reel it in. He caught about 6 all together. We tried to teach him how to cast his own line but he's still a little young for that. He got the concept but doesn't exactly understand when to release.
We always have a funny moment with him every day. He wanted to stand by his daddy and fish. There was this large log laying behind Josh. So he was standing on it like any kid would. He fell off and splatter the ground. I start over to him to check on him even though he wasn't crying. He just sat there a minute and looked up and said " Well guys, I've fell down!". I know it doesn't sound like much but hearing that in a 3 year old voice....we cracked up.

We fished for about 2 hours and it was so hot we were all just yucky by the time it was getting dark. I insisted on still making a fire to cook everything. I took hangers and made the hotdog holders out of them. Dalton burned the first one he put in the fire...so Mommy had to eat it. Then we made the smores. He kept burning the marshmallows and they would fall of the hanger. It was great fun though!!

On the way home he fell fast asleep. I hated to wake him when we got home but I couldn't let him go to bed as dirty as he was. So I woke him up to get him ready for his bath. I asked him if he had fun....and he was so excited still. He had great fun!! It is definitely something we will do again.

No comments: