About Me

My photo
Hey ya'll! I am a 34 year mother of two blue eyed awesome kids! I teach 4-6 Science and Social Studies at a small school in Mississippi. I love living life to the fullest and I try to laugh every day. Laughter is the best medicine!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Glad Reunion Day....

We decided on Friday night that we would follow my parents, grandmother, and my Aunt Anita to Drew, Mississippi for the funeral service of my aunt. I almost talked myself out of the trip because travelling for a couple of hours with a two year old isn't exactly a fun time. After alot of thought I wanted to go to see my aunt for the last time on this earth and to see her children and grandchildren who I have not seen in almost 20 years.
The last part sounds terrible. Our lives are so busy that we don't take the time to see each other in 20 years. There were some of them that I have seen at different times in the past 20 years. My cousin Kimberly's daughter was about 3 months old the last time I saw her....she is a senior now and graduates in May! She was a very pretty girl..she favored both parents. Kimberly's sister Kristy is just a year older than myself. We use to write to each other often..but as we became teenagers and then adults we stopped doing that and lost touch. I was glad to see her. She hadn't changed much in all of these years.
The trip was nice. It gave Josh and I alot of quality talking time. On Friday night I put the dvd player in the car for Dalton, so we heard Thomas the Train for 3 1/2 hours but we survived. As we were travelling I remembered parts of the trip from past trips as a child. I didn't miss one single turn. I knew where the last hill was in Batesville as you enter into the Delta, I remembered the bridge before you make the turn south in Marks, and of course I remembered Parchman...even though the entrance looked different than from all those years ago.
I was surprised at the road conditions and the quality of the businesses in some of the small towns. It was really sad. I often think that there is nothing in Red Bay and some of these towns had less than we did. The roads were rough. They had potholes, cracks, and some had gravel. It made me thankful for the quality roads we have in Red Bay....and we often complain about these. I questioned were the residents shop?? We didn't pass through a town from Marks to Drew that had any shops. Maybe they were located in another part of the town that we didn't see.
On the way to Drew the road between Marks and Drew was in good condition and the speed limit was 55. We were doing about 60 and we were being passed by everything. We got passed by several cars, a state trooper who went just down the road and turned around, and right before we got to Parchman we were passed by the hearse carrying my dear aunt. I couldn't help but laugh. I have never started to a funeral that is far from home and been passed by the hearse. It was a crazy moment.
It was a nice service and it was very sad.The preachers shared stories about the last few weeks. She was diagnosed on January 14th and lived until March 13th. She didn't have any pain. She was treated to family almost every night and they cooked for her alot. The preacher said he went to visit on Tuesday's. One Tuesday he asked how her fish fry went and she said "Which one?" Frying fish is a family favorite and they had a couple of those for her.
She never questioned why she was sick. She was ready to go on home but I knew that it was the end of an era. She and my Mamaw were the ones that kept us together all of the years since the passing of my great uncle. I felt like after her passing we would lose touch even more than before. One preacher shared that last Sunday she was in the kitchen making homeade buscuits for her family for breakfast. It broke my heart to hear the story. They will never have another biscuit that tasted as good as those did. I know, because I have never had another fried pie that was as good as my Granny's. The only one that came close was made by my Granny's dear friend Lizzie.
I guess that is what happens when we get older. We live our own lives and raise our own families and we forget about those who are a part of us...the life links that are our families.
My grandmother was more than pleased that we went. It was important for me to go. I have known these people all of my life even if we aren't that close. My Mamaw's family has always been important to her and she has out lived them all. If I out live my Mamaw I dread the day that I have to attend her funeral. I have thought of about it many times. I don't see her alot like I should but I can't imagine not being able to pick up the phone and hear her voice. I know that it will be a good day for her though. She can leave this world and be united with her family that has gone on before. One day she will surely rejoice when she gets to see their faces again....that will be a glad reunion day!!

No comments: