About Me

My photo
Hey ya'll! I am a 34 year mother of two blue eyed awesome kids! I teach 4-6 Science and Social Studies at a small school in Mississippi. I love living life to the fullest and I try to laugh every day. Laughter is the best medicine!

Friday, March 13, 2009

She was truly a Jewell

This morning during the time I was positng my dear Aunt Jewell Moody passed on from this life. My Mamaw Coker called around 11:30 to pass on the sad news. About a month or so ago Aunt Jewell learned that she had a brain tumor that was inoperable. She chose not to have any medications and she told my grandmother she was ready.
I have dealt with this situation before. My Granny Daniel had a tumor that was the same situation. We did get to keep her for 9 months. My daddy and I talked about it when Aunt Jewell found this out and he said that she made the best decsion.
I would like to tell you a little about this special woman. I haven't known her closely in my life. It was because she lived so far away.
She was my Mamaw Coker's sister in law. My Mamaw had 3 brothers and 2 sisters. Her oldest brother was Erastes Moody a.k.a. Rass. His first marriage was to Burdean Sparks and they had 2 children E.R. and Wynoka. After Wynoka was born Burdean passed away. Rass left Belmont and moved to the Mississippi Delta and went to work for Mississippi Department of Corrections at Parchman State Prison.
After a few years he met and married Aunt Jewell. They had one son together named Ricky.
To me she was special because she was a single woman who married a man who had 2 children and she never acted as if they were anything but her own. She loved and raised E.R. and Wynoka and to them she was "Momma". I have heard them tell stories and learn stories about their biological mother and they called her Burdean....because Jewell was their momma.
Now I know that sounds sad that they never got to know their biological mother but that was God's will for this to happen.
My Mamaw was just in pieces when I talked to her. She thought the world of Aunt Jewell. Mamaw has always been a family person and this is another part of her family that has gone on to be with the Lord.
Mamaw told me that our cousin Larry Moody had called her to tell the news. The part that broke me down the most was the story of the moment that she passed. Mamaw told me that her son Ricky was by her side, holding her hand, and he asked her to smile one more time for him. Ricky told that she was holding his hand, she smiled at him, closed her eyes and went on to be with the Lord.
I broke down. I could just imagine in my mind Dalton being there holding my hand while I am taking my last breath in this life.
If there is a local obituary I will share it with you in the next few days.
Please pray for our family, her children and grandchildren will miss her so dearly but they know that she is so happy right now, rejoicing with the Lord!!

No comments: